WEATHER TOO COLD TO RELEASE MONARCHS?
by Gail Artinian
Monarch caterpillars brought home from northern Michigan in late Sept. Developed into chrysalis state just fine. One emerged on a day that was windy, rainy and below 55 degrees. Even colder over night. Worse the next day. Is it ok to wait a few days until the weather is warmer before releasing them?
Yes, that is fine as long as you can feed them somehow (flower nectar, Juicy Juice, Gaterade). Also, my opinion on this is that the butterflies in nature have to "weather" the elements naturally, so I will try to put them in a protected place (inside a bush, undercover somewhere) and then when the weather improves they can begin their migration.