Eastern black swallowtail
I had 4 cats that I left for my neighbor to babysit while I was on vacation. While I was gone, 2 butterflies emerged. It is now very cool in Oct in upstate NY. Should I release them? I've put 1 chrysalis in the fridge but the other one is wiggling. Should I refrigerate that one, too, or is it too late? thanks for the help - I've only raised monarchs before.
I would release the ones that emerge. If it is freezing temperatures and raining (this can kill them), then I would wait for better weather. I would overwinter the chrysalis in garage or refrigerator (unless you think they are close to emerging).
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Butterfly Questions.